Saturday 2 April 2016

Introduction

Hey! I'm Phil, and welcome to my new blog, Arkham FX. Since October of 2015 I have been trying to teach myself special effects make up. So the purpose of this blog is to document my journey. While posting pictures on Instagram and facebook is ok, I really want somewhere I can post not only pictures of what I have done, but also to blog about certain experiences or lessons learned and stuff that interests me on the subject. And if anybody else happens to stumble across it and find it interesting even better!

Below is a little collage of the first few looks I tried, using cotton and latex build ups and scar wax. The usual beginner type materials to use.



Left - The obligatory zip face, it can be a very easy and effective look to start out with, all be it done to death by many standards. I still feel it has its place, in that you get a really effective look with minimal materials and skill, making it an excellent look to start with.

Center- A scar wax razor cut wound. Scar wax is essentially, wax mixed with petroleum jelly. You can mould and shape it into a wound or bullet hole and then paint and add blood. Its a good material for playing about with, but its fragile and not suitable for long time use. Personally its not my favourite thing to work with but you can create some awesome stuff with it. Just check out Powdah's Youtube channel, Mark is a wizard with the stuff.

Right - Can in the face. Another look that has been done to death, but, there is a good reason why. Like the zip face, it's effective and cheap to create making it a great place to start. This was a small layer of cotton and latex, then place the can on the latex (DON'T PLACE A CUT CAN DIRECTLY ON THE SKIN). And then build up the outside of the can with cotton and latex and paint. Simple!

Looking back at some of these images even though its only been six months since I started, I can see so many things that I would have done differently. But hey, everybody starts somewhere. I might try and recreate some of these at some point as a comparison. So ending this I would like to acknowledge some of the Youtube channels that have been invaluable to me.

  • Freakmo
  • Stuart Bray
  • Powdah
  • Tested (while not strictly makeup some videos are, and those videos by Frank Ippolito were instrumental in me getting into this stuff)
I hope you enjoy this new blog and please don't forget to follow me on Instagram - philnicholl13

Phil 

No comments:

Post a Comment