Monday 4 April 2016

When life gives you lemons........ Make infected boils!

After another trip to Titanic FX to pick up some Chavant Le Beau Toche and Crystacal R, I was desperate to redeem myself in the art of flat moulds. So I set about trying to sculpt a very basic entry wound, thinking that would be easy enough. I sculpted it and was happy enough, so I set about moulding in Crystacal. Right off the bat I found it to be a better plaster than plaster of Paris to use for flat moulding. I also built the walls around it much smaller and made a much more economical mould. And I also sprayed it with a coat of clear acrylic, (finding Krylon crystal clear in my area was impossible; so I opted for some cheap ass spray from Halfords, our local car supply place, it seemed to do the job however, I have no other spray to compare it too). The clear acrylic made it a dream to de-mould and the clay just popped out with a minimal amount left in the mould.

After de-moulding and cleaning it up, I noticed just how hard the Crystacal is, and alternatively, just how soft plaster of Paris is, in comparison; its more like chalk! I left it overnight to help dry it out a little and cast some gelatine in it. As soon as I got the prosthetic out of the mould, I noticed my usual sculpting problem of sculpting too shallow was evident! My heart sank a little, I thought “oh crap, not another balls up”. After cursing my sculpting skills, or lack thereof and placing the prosthetic on my arm to check it out, I noticed that instead of an entry wound; it looked more like a popped blister or infected pimple or something like that. So, I thought “what the hell, lets apply it quickly and see what it looks like”, and to my surprise after a little yellow, green and a little blood tone from the FX palette I thought it looked pretty good.

And so instead of just tossing the mould in the bin and wallowing in the failure of yet another flat mould, I re-purposed the mould for a different look that turned out surprising simple and effective. Happy days!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment