Monday 4 April 2016

My first gelatine prosthetic application

So with my first mould being a bit of a let down, I decided to buy some pre-made gelatine prosthetics from Titanic FX store. And I'm glad I did, they are excellent wee prosthetics at great value.

So I pre-painted most of the inside of the exit wound with a Skin Illustrator FX palette. This was my first time really using Skin Illustrator palettes, and I was really happy with the results. I found they take a wee while to get used, but once you do its completely worth it. I then applied the pros-aide to both my skin and the back of the piece. I think I would use a bit more pros-aide next time, just to secure it a bit more. I didn't get the best edges in a couple of places, but that was down more to my inexperience, the good edges I did get blended out beautifully with some witch hazel.

Once that was applied, I began to try to colour match the piece to my skin using the Skin Illustrator light flesh tones palette. This, is something I'm going to have to practice. It took me a while to get a rough match to my skin. First I used a little of the rose adjuster on a small fan brush, then a little of the rice paper and natural one. I am covered in freckles and found it difficult to add a natural looking freckle. I tried the spatter technique and using a stipple sponge and a regular ripped up make up sponge, I found the spatter technique to be the best.

Once I had the the flesh tone matched, I spattered a bit of the blood tone from the FX palette to try and create a blood splatter effect, since it is an exit wound I imagined there would be a bit of blood splatter. After that I added some fake blood. Its not the greatest blood in the world, just some cheap Halloween blood I got last year, but for the price its pretty good. Decent blood is the next thing on my list, I have my eye on some mouldlife aged, but for the moment this and the Vaseline dead blood I made will do the job.

All in all I was very happy with my first application, it's far from perfect, but I learned so much and I feel in my next application I will know what to watch out for and what to try and avoid.







Before I end this, I would like to give another mention to Titanic CreativeManagement. I'm not affiliated with them, just a very happy customer, If you are from UK or Ireland, you should definitely give them a look. They also offer up a load of different classes and products.

No comments:

Post a Comment